The Sign-up List tool enables you to create an electronic version of a traditional paper-based ‘sign-up sheet’ used by people to sign-up for an activity where places are limited. This may be to join a tutorial group or sign-up for an extra curricular activity such as a guest lecture or a trip.
Creating a Single Sign-up List
The Sign-up List tool is a stand-alone content item which can be placed anywhere inside your Blackboard module (e.g. inside an area called ‘Learning Materials’). You can create single sign-up lists or use the ‘Batch Create’ feature to create up to twenty lists in one go.
To create a single sign-up list:
- Go to the content area inside your Blackboard module where you want to add the list (e.g. ‘Learning Materials’).
- Go to Build Content and click SignUp List.
- Enter a Name for the list, optionally choose a colour for the name and use the Text box to provide additional information about the list to students.
- In the Sign Up Period section, specify the dates on which the list opens and closes. This is the period when people are able to add their names to the list (not the actual visibility of the list).
- Under List Settings, specify the Number of Places available on the list and optionally set the Reserve List Size. Setting a Reserve List Size greater than zero will allow students to add their names to a reserve list once the main list is full.
- There are three additional options which allow you to specify whether names and profile pictures are shown on the list and whether people can remove their names from the list(s) during the sign-up period.
- Sign-up lists can be associated with Groups in your module. A Group (either new or existing) can be automatically populated with users who add their names to the sign-up list. They will be automatically enrolled in the group when they sign-up to the main list (or are prompted to it from the reserve list after someone else withdraws). If you don’t want to link the list to a group, then simply select None from the Group to Populate drop down list (and ignore the Populate Group Automatically option).
- Alternatively, choose to associate the list with either an existing group or select Create New Group on Submit to have a new group created.
- The Populate Group Automatically option allows you to choose whether students should be automatically enrolled to the group when they sign-up to the list. If you select No then you will have to return to the list after the closing date and manually click the ‘Populate the Group‘ button to add the list members.
- Lastly, under Options, specify whether the list is available to users and set some date and time restrictions for visibility of the list.
- Click Submit when you have finished to save the list.
- If you selected Create New Group on Submit in step 8, then the next page will ask you to enter the options for the new Group. The Group Name and Description will be automatically populated with details from the list. You can optionally specify the tools available to this group. Click Submit when you have finished.
The Sign-up List will appear in the content area, as shown below:
Students can add their names to the list simply by clicking on the sign-up list title and then clicking the SignUp Now button. Their name will display in the list along with the date and time that they signed up.
Managing the Sign-up List
There are several options available to you once a sign-up list has been created. Click on the title of the sign-up list to view it. On the sign-up list page, you will see a list of all students who have currently signed up. You can see the list as a student either by switching Edit Mode to OFF or entering Student Preview mode.
There are several options for managing the list on this page in the grey action bar:
Manually Add Users: Click this button to manually add users to the list.
Populate the Group: This option will be available if you specified to manually populate the group associated with the list when setting it up. By clicking this button, all users on the sign-up list will be enrolled into the Group associated with the list.
Print: This enables you to print the sign-up list. There are several options for configuring what details are printed.
Export: This exports the list in a spreadsheet format.
Email: Use this option to send an email to every member on the sign-up list.
Show: The drop-down box allows you to filter your view of the list – show either the Main List, the Reserve List or both. This appears if you specified a reserve list value when creating the list.
There will also be a link to the Group associated with the list if you configured this option when creating the list.
You can remove selected users by checking the box next to the name of the user(s) and clicking the Remove Selected button. When users are removed they will receive an email alerting them of their removal, unless you use the Silently Remove Selected, in which case they will not receive an email.
Creating Multiple Sign-up Lists
The Batch Create option which appears on the Create Sign-up List page enables you to create up to twenty lists at once.
Simply enter the names of the individual lists and use the + and – buttons to add or remove lists. The options you specify o on this page (i.e. the sign-up period) will apply to all lists. You can specify to create a new group for each individual list.