It’s quite common to want to create a sign up list for tutorial slots. For example, you have 20 students that need to book a 10 minute tutorial with you on a particular day. There are a number of approaches to make this happen in a digital space, but this guide will focus on creating a document that can be shared and edited collaboratively. The same approach could be used via an Excel Spreadsheet, depending on your own preference.
Step One – Create the document
- Go to https://portal.office.com and click on the Word icon located on the left hand side of the screen.
- Click the option to create a New Blank Document.
- Create your document as appropriate. For example, you might want to create a table that students can put their name next to a designated time slot.
- In the top left of the page, you can see the name of the document. It’ll most likely say something like Document1 – click that to rename it to something more meaningful (such as Sign Up List) and press Enter.
Step Two – Get the link to share
- Still in Word, click the option to Share, located in the top right of the screen.
- Click on the icon to Copy Link. N.B. This is assuming the default sharing settings have not been changed. This should be “People in Teesside University with the link” and the option to “Allow editing” is selected.
- You will get a dialog to say “Link Copied”.
Step Three – Share the link with your students
- Open Blackboard at https://bb.tees.ac.uk
- Go into your module and decide where to put the link. Hover your mouse over that space, click the small circle with the + icon and select Create.
- From the side panel, select Link.
- Give the link a name (it will default to “New Link”).
- Make it visible to students (the default is to be hidden from view).
- In the Link URL box, you can paste in the web link to your document that you created earlier (either right click the mouse and paste or press Ctrl and V).
- Click on Save.