Almost all Blackboard modules contain a link to the Reading List that the Library holds for your module. By default, Blackboard will automatically try to find a Reading List for your module based on the module code. However, if you have a support module (SPT code) or would like to link to a different Reading List in your module, then the information in this user guide should help.
Creating a Reading List Menu Item
If your module doesn’t already have a link to the Reading List that the Library holds for your module, then one can be added to the menu very easily.
Go into the module you want to add the Reading List to and ensure that Edit Mode is turned ON.
- Click the + button at the top of the menu and click Tool Link from the drop down menu that appears.
- Type ‘Reading List’ in the Name field and select Reading List from the Type drop down menu. Also remember to tick the box labelled Available to Users (students will not be able to see the link if you don’t).
- Click Submit.
- The Reading List link will appear at the bottom of the menu. You can re-position it on the menu by hovering over the left-hand side of the link until the four-way arrow appears – then click and drag it to the desired position.
- As of September 2014, Reading Lists Online is the new Reading Lists software provided by the Library.
- You can access Reading Lists Online at https://teesside.rl.talis.com
- Further information is available from the Library.
Configure the Reading List
By default, the Reading List link will automatically display the corresponding Reading List from ‘Reading Lists Online’ for your module based on the module code and academic year. If you need to create a Reading List for your module, then you can do so by going to https://teesside.rl.talis.com. Please contact the Library for further information on how to do this.
The Reading List can be manually configured to display a different reading list. You will need to do this if you’re using a Support Module (SPT code).
- Go into the module which contains the Reading List you want to configure.
- Expand the Course Tools area of the Control Panel which is underneath the menu on the left.
- Click on Configure Reading List.
- You now have three options: Link automatically to the Reading List (Default)
This will display the default Reading list associated with your module and academic year. Blackboard will search Reading Lists Online for matches based on the module code and academic year. For example; if your module code is ELL4007-N-CJ1-2014, then Blackboard will attempt to find a Reading List for ELL4007-N from the academic year 2014-2015. If Blackboard cannot find a Reading List, it will display search results from Reading Lists Online based on the module code search. This will allow users to view lists for the module from previous years, if they existed. Display “There is no Reading List for this module”
Show this notice to users who click on the Reading List link in a module that doesn’t have a Reading List associated with it.Link to a particular Reading List
You can enter either the SITS module code (e.g. ELL4007-N) or a SPT module code (e.g. SPT-12345) if you want to display a different Reading List in your module other than the default. Using this option will always look for a list from the current academic year. A red warning message will be displayed if an up-to-date Reading List could not be found for the module code you entered.
- Once you’ve made your configuration changes, click the Submit button.