YouTube is popular video-sharing website that allows you to upload, view and share video online. This guide looks at how to upload your video resource to YouTube and copy the embed code, which is a string of code that points to the location of the video in YouTube. You can embed or insert your video in Blackboard using this code. There is a separate guide called Embed YouTube Video within Blackboard that explains how to do this.
In order to upload and share your video resources on YouTube, you will need a Google account (Gmail account) and a video file in one of the following formats, .MOV, .MPEG4, .MP4 or .AVI.
If you already have a Google account, skip to step 3.
- You are advised to set-up the account using your University email address e.g. email@example.com to keep your academic/work content separate from your personal content. In order to register an existing email address with Google, please click the I prefer to use my current email address link.
- Fill in the requested details and click Next Step. Google will now ask you to verify your email address. To do this, log into the email account which you entered above, and you will see an email from ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ with subject ‘Google Email Verification’. Follow the instructions in the email to activate your Google account.
- Go to www.youtube.com and, if you are not already signed in, click the Sign In button at the top right of the screen.
- Once you are signed in, click the Upload button on the top right of the screen.
- Select the Privacy Setting of your video. This allows you to specify who will be able to see your video.
- Next, to upload the video, click the arrow icon in the centre of the page and select your file or alternatively you can choose to drag and drop the video file on the arrow.
- Once the video has been uploaded to YouTube, enter the Title and Description for your video. You can add relevant Tags to the video if you have set the Privacy Setting as Public. This will help users find your video when they search the site but you can choose to skip tags if you have selected Unlisted or Private as your video will not appear in the search result. When you’ve finished adding the Basic Info -Title and Description to your video and the processing is complete, click Done.
- This will give you a permanent URL to access your video. Navigate to the video by clicking the thumbnail image.
- You will now see the video as users will see it in YouTube.
- In order to get the embed code, scroll down and click Share on the title panel. Then click Embed, this will reveal an embed code which will look something like this:
<iframe width=”640″ height=”480″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/r8iC0Z8syl4″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>Right-click and select Copy to copy the entire code. If you would like to make changes to the video size or player features, click Show More and follow-up with the tutorial. If not, you can skip to step 12.
- Change the video size by clicking the drop down menu and select the appropriate player options. Use the Preview pod to view the changes. The embed code will be automatically updated as the changes are made. Once you are happy with the changes, copy the entire code.
- Now you are ready to embed your video in Blackboard. Click Embed YouTube Video within Blackboard to see how to do this.