If you have existing Tests and Question Pools within the original Blackboard Learn these can be exported into the new Blackboard Ultra. The new VLE supports the following question types:
- Calculated Formula.
- Fill in the Blank and Fill in Multiple Blanks.
- Multiple Answer.
- Multiple Choice.
The following question types within Blackboard Learn cannot be imported into Blackboard Ultra:
- Calculated Numeric. (use multiple choice)
- Hot Spot.
- Jumbled Sentence.
- Opinion Scale/Likert.
- Quiz Bowl.
Export Pools from Blackboard Learn
To begin exporting your Pools first open Blackboard Learn and the module where the questions are located.
- Within the module open the Control Panel, Evaluation and Tests, Surveys and Pools.
- From here open Pools and locate the question set required.
- Next to the name of the question set click on the arrow select Export from the menu options.
- The process of exporting the question set as a zip file will begin. Once complete the file can usually be found in your devices download folder with the prefix Pool_ExportFile.
Export Tests from Blackboard Learn
All Tests in Blackboard Learn will need to be converted into a Pool first before importing into Blackboard Ultra. To do this create a new Pool in Learn and Find the Test Questions to add to the Pool by following these steps:
- Open the Pools area within the module control panel Evaluation, Tests Surveys and Pools and Pools.
- On the Pools canvas page select Build Pool
- In Pool Information give the Pool a name and any other information necessary, click Submit once complete.
- To add your Test questions to the Pool click on the Find Questions tab.
- On the Find Questions pop up screen. Use the Criteria drop-down lists to search for Tests category (you may need to scroll down) add your questions to
- the Pool.
- Click Submit to finish.
- Follow the steps to export Pools from Blackboard Learn.
Import Pools into Blackboard Ultra
In Blackboard Ultra Question Pools are now called Question Banks.
- In Blackboard Ultra open the module you want to add the question pool to.
- Under the Details & Actions menu click the Question Banks Manage banks link.
- In the Question Banks area click on the + button on the top right of the page to upload the import zip file. A pools zip file will have the prefix Pool_ExportFile.
- A message will appear indicating that the file is uploading and then processing the file. Processing the file will normally take a little while.
- Once completed a message will appear to say: Question Bank imported successfully.
- Other messages may appear. For instance to indicate that unsupported question types were removed from the imported pool.
- The imported pool will now show on the Question Banks page.
Using Question Banks
Once a question bank is imported the questions are accessed from a Test content item. On adding a Reuse Questions or Add question pool option you will be able to view the question bank from the Sources area under Question Banks.
When you select bank questions for a test, copies of the questions are created and added to the test. Changes you make to the instance of the question or content aren’t reflected in the other deployed instances.
Creating Question Pool Tests in Ultra
To create a Question Pool functionality in Ultra with the ability to randomise a set of selected questions:
- Create a Test and select the Add question pool question type.
- In the Test Content area select the questions to add from the selected Sources on the left and click Submit once your questions are added.
- On the next page Content and Settings select the number of questions to display to students from the selected sources by typing in a number and click Save.
- To randomise question display for the test. Open the Test Settings cog and select the randomise questions option.